Tuesday, July 22, 2014

Soundcloud....full?!

I never thought that it could happen, but I guess it has - my free Soundcloud account is finally full. I have uploaded two hour's worth of music to that account.

What do I do now? I hate to shell out the cash for an upgrade. It's $6/mo or $55/year, and would take me up to 4 hours. My profile says that I have 49 people following me and have had 43 plays in the last week. Hmmmm.

Cost/Benefit analysis: Not exactly setting the world on fire with followers and there are hardly any comments. The 43 plays in a week statistic is actually pretty surprising. I have absolutely no way of knowing if anything I post on Soundcloud ever leads to an actual sale.

A recurring $6/mo fee seems steep considering the way I use the platform - it's just a storehouse for my files so I can generate links to my website. This website is more of a journal than anything else. I haven't made any honest efforts to ask anyone to read it. It turns out that I kind of stink at social media.

Solution - pay for August and quit. HolyHammer Audio is basically a June-August project. I'm way too busy dying the school year to crank out 5 songs a week. I can't even manage the tiny branding clips on a regular basis. After I try it out for 1 month, it will freeze out future uploads (unlikely to matter until next summer), and I'll lose access to my oldest songs (and I don't care.)

Next summer I can either clean out old material to make room for the new stuff, or buy 3 months instead of the whole year and see how they handle that. Sounds like a plan. I'm glad we worked this out.

No comments:

Post a Comment